Data Platform Administrator / Engineer
Data Platform Administrator / Engineer – €40k-55k – Fully remote
About Data Masterminds
Data Masterminds is a Microsoft Data Platform consulting and managed services provider. Founded in 2017 by industry veterans, looking to offer the highest level of knowledge and experience to companies across Europe. Over the last few years, Data Masterminds has built a unique service around providing best practice implementations of SQL Server (on-premises, hybrid and in the cloud) coupled with ongoing support and mentoring services. This approach has attracted some significant household brands as clients and allowed the company to expand into the UK in 2020. Due to our ever-increasing customer base we need to expand our team again.
What we can offer you at a glance:
- Work closely with the leaders of this fast-growing company and be a part of helping it continue to grow
- Varied workload: Get involved in projects spread across Europe and beyond
- Support with industry learning and professional development
- Flexible working schedule
- Flexible working location
At Data Masterminds, we help our customers make the best decisions for their Microsoft Data Platform environments to ensure their businesses can continue to operate regardless of what happens. Whether that is a single instance with a handful of databases or hundreds of instances with thousands of databases, we are there to guide and mentor our customers. We work together with companies that use self-hosted rack hardware all the way up to PaaS services in the Azure cloud and any mixture of tech in between.
As a Data Platform Engineer, you will work closely with our customers to help shape their Data Platform strategy and lead their internal IT teams to implement the right technologies for their requirements. A key to Data Masterminds’ success is our knowledge sharing within the team. Nobody can know everything, but as a team we are able to help solve any issue a client may run into. As a member of Data Masterminds, you will keep up to date with industry innovations, sharing your knowledge internally and with our customers through training sessions and technical briefings. A passion for building and sharing your knowledge in the Microsoft Data Platform space is essential.
To help quench your thirst for knowledge, we provide access to formal training resources as well as knowledge sharing inside the company. Attending in person or virtual Data Platform events such as DataGrillen, SQLBits or Data Saturday (as an attendee or as a speaker) is something we will fully support. We recognize the importance of the SQL community and would love you to get involved in any way you can. Equally, certifications from Microsoft are a way to track your learning and keep abreast of the newest innovations in the Microsoft space – study time and exam costs will also be covered as part of your employment.
An ideal candidate will demonstrate at least 3 years of experience in the administration of modern Microsoft Data Platform environments. This will include but not be limited to:
- Installation, configuration, and administration of Microsoft SQL Server
- 2016 and newer, but experience with older versions is always good
- Azure / AWS experience is a bonus but not essential
- Handling general maintenance tasks such as backups, index and statistics maintenance, consistency checking, patching etc.
- Planning and concept work of Data Platform environments
- Capacity planning, licensing recommendations, database design guidance
- Automation of work using PowerShell
- We are the leading sponsor of dbatools!
- Troubleshooting and resolving issues
- Sometimes easy, sometimes critical outages of high throughput systems
- Live interactions with end-users/customers. Both production support scenarios and training/mentoring sessions
Our daily work is with customers spread across Europe in a wide array of market segments, meaning you will interact with a range of companies, cultures and environments. This breadth and variety will ensure you have plenty of opportunities to see and interact with systems that are a step above “regular”.
Our team is also spread across Europe and we are a remote company at heart. This means that our team can work from wherever they feel comfortable, as long as they have a decent internet connection and are able to join Zoom/Teams calls. As with most IT jobs, working hours are flexible on both sides – we understand that real life must take priority over work at times, just like IT maintenance windows are sometimes during evenings. Our goal is flexibility and not “work-life balance” buzzwords.
To be able to join us at Data Masterminds you must be able to work/live in the EU or the UK (we cannot sponsor work visas at this time). Our customers predominately speak English, but we also have customers that prefer German, Dutch. Language skills beyond English would be a plus (but not a requirement).
Diversity and Inclusion
Data Masterminds is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Submit your cover letter and resume below.